Remote Digital Tower USA
RETHINKING TRADITIONAL AIR TRAFFIC CONTROL
Frequentis USA delivers the newest digital tower intelligent transport technologies to modernize air traffic control. The Remote Digital Tower (RDT) is innovative technology driven by a world of increased automation, evolving network protocols, integration between traditional legacy platforms and enhanced new capabilities, and increased need for greater and more collaborative situational awareness.
The Remote Digital Tower (RDT) is a scalable solution and customizable design based on Air Traffic Control (ATC) Concept of Operations (CONOPS) and mission requirements. By replacing the "out-of-the-window" view with a visualization system at a remote site, we not only increase situational awareness through enhanced visibility; we also increase safety in military air traffic control (MilATC) by allowing military controllers to execute their missions from a remote, secure location. Additionally, the operationally proven and tested controller working positions ensure safe management of air traffic, while a variety of sensors, cameras and surveillance options increase controllers’ operational view during mission execution.
Remote Digital Tower (RDT) technology significantly reduces costs by eliminating the need for an expensive physical tower, including maintenance. Remote Digital Tower (RDT) also offers defense organizations the capability to “consolidate” air traffic management in situations where there are smaller airbases, with less air traffic and minimally staffed personnel. Remote Digital Tower (RDT) creates increased efficiency and further cost reduction by routing the remote location’s visual feed to a consolidated air operations center, allowing staffing and asset management at the remote locations to be minimized or reassigned.
Real-world collaboration and deployment with US DoD
Frequentis USA Awarded the First US DoD Digital Tower Contract
In the civil domain, Remote Digital Tower (RDT) solutions have already been tested and put into operation at airports around the world, safely managing instrument flight rules (IFR) and visual flight rules (VFR) operations from remote locations.
The Remote Digital Tower (RDT) project is the first of its kind for the US Department of Defense (DoD) – we put together a team of leading experts to find the optimum solution to meet DoD challenges that not only increase safety, but provide precise real-time information that enhances and increases the flexibility of mobile tower systems.
The DoD saw value in the following enhanced innovative capabilities of our Remote Digital Tower (RDT) concept:
- RDT enables more flexible deployment, enhanced features and new operation management concepts of operation (CONOPS).
- A 360° panoramic view is offered together with out-of-the-window views – typically on four screens so that an entire runway can be visualized in one picture.
- Objects of interest are automatically marked with classic surveillance data including call sign, speed and heading information, enabling the controller to get labels at the position of the aircraft even if it is not detected by the camera.
- Greater aviation safety, resiliency and the option to provide extended levels of service to remote regions.
- Views can be enhanced through infrared technology. For example, in bad weather, when contrast is poor, or at night, are all occasions when RDT will enable controllers to see aircraft when normally they couldn’t.
- RDT represents a technological and operational solution that offers the DoD an alternative to high costs of building and maintaining new, conventional tower facilities and services.
FURTHER INFORMATION & CONTACT
For more details please download the following documents:
- Use Case: Deployable ATC Tower US (pdf)
- Solution Brief: Remote Digital Tower US (pdf)
- PR: Frequentis 1st Military RVT International (pdf)
Should you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to contact Frequentis USA directly: