FAA Interim Voice Switch Replacement
Interim Voice Switch Replacement (IVSR) Program
Over the past 16 years, FREQUENTIS USA, Inc. has been providing important communications solutions for the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA), teamed for success and providing lynchpin air traffic control (ATC) systems that are national airspace system (NAS) cornerstones for NextGen. In February 2015, FREQUENTIS USA celebrated production of the 100th 3020X Communications System for the FAA under the Interim Voice Switch Replacement (IVSR) contract awarded in 2005. Frequentis has been successfully delivering IVSR systems to small and large air traffic control towers (ATCTs) and terminal radar approach control facilities (TRACONs) across the US and its territories, delivering safe, reliable and critical communications between air traffic controllers and pilots serving over more than 90 terminal air traffic control facilities, 3 major operational support facilities, providing over 1,000 working operational and maintenance working positions, and supporting over 3 million ATC terminal operations annually.
The system scales from smaller systems to hundreds of positions while supporting all FAA legacy interfaces. FREQUENTIS understands the critical nature of the voice communications service needed by our ATC customers-- the 100th IVSR was deployed at the FAA’s Large Mobile Air Traffic Control Towers (LMATCTs) facility and demonstrated new 4-Jack capabilities at the 2015 EAA Airshow at Oshkosh, Wisconsin, proving once again that Frequentis is a trusted partner to provide innovative and insightful solutions to specific ATC communications and operational needs of the FAA.
The IVSR is an integrated voice switching communication system installed primarily in ATCTs and TRACON facilities throughout the US and offshore territories. The system provides air traffic control specialists and traffic managers with access to all the systems, equipment, and communications circuits necessary to perform air traffic control (ATC) responsibilities. A critical part of the National Airspace System (NAS) infrastructure, the Frequentis Voice Control System model 3020 provides the FAA’s solution for real-time connectivity for efficient communications among air traffic controllers, pilots and ground personnel. It connects incoming and out-going communication lines for voice and data via a technology-based switching matrix to the controller's workstation using innovative user interface design to optimize controller efficiency.
The voice switch interfaces with existing interphone networks consisting mainly of government furnished point-to-point and multi-unit dedicated lines. It also interfaces with external telephone networks, such as private automated branch exchanges, federal telephone systems, and local private phone systems, as well as with government furnished air-to-ground communications equipment and legal voice recording systems. The Frequentis VCS 3020 includes additional design features to support data communications and other voice transfer protocols (such as voice over internet protocol, VoIP) for advanced air to ground (A/G) radio and ground to ground (G/G) voice communications.
NextGen ready, Frequentis IVSR systems have technology refresh upgrade paths to support communications networking, voice over IP (VoIP), digital voice recording, electronic flight strips, and other important features needed to support FAA’s NextGen vision of future terminal air traffic control facilities—including standard ED137 capabilities to support new digital air ground radio voice communications using IP protocols.
IVSR is the Largest Voice Switch Rollout Program in the world--25% of US ATCTs now Use Frequentis VCS 3020 for Critical Communications
The IVSR System Frequentis provides replace the legacy ATCT and TRACON voice communication systems, some over 20 years old, and is the only FAA ATC voice communication system currently in production.
Commitment to Communications & Information Systems Excellence
- Frequentis awarded Indefinite Delivery/Indefinite Quantity (IDIQ) contract with the first IVSR delivery order in 2004, contract performance through 2022.
- Air Traffic Control Tower (ATCT), Mobile ATCTs, and Terminal Radar Approach Control (TRACON) facilities for FAA and Radar Approach Control (RAPCONs) for military sites.
- Easily adaptable design accommodates civil and military air-ground radio and ground-ground voice communications and interface requirements, Frequentis non-blocking voice switch VCS3020X.
FREQUENTIS USA Inc. designs, manufactures, tests, delivers, and supports civil and military command and control missions in the US.
- Manufacturing and Electronics Equipment Production & Integration
- Hardware and Software Design and Development
- Integrated Logistic Support – Documentation, Training, Engineering Support Services
- Program Management Office and Contracts Management
- FREQUENTIS Defense Inc. with facility clearance, and cleared personnel to address classified agency requirements
- Highest levels of information system security standards compliance, secure facilities and mobile platforms installations and certifications
- Systems Design, Manufacturing & Production Plant – 40,000 SF manufacturing and production, test, certification, research and development & prototyping labs: ISO 9001:2008 certified, Resident US Government QRO, 20,000 SF Production Floor, Plus 20,000 SF Lab Space, Depot, Spares & Supply chain warehouse, Test, design, operations management, and back office support personnel space, Tier 1 through Tier 3 Support Infrastructure 24x7x365
- Customer Support
To learn more about the 3020 Voice Communication System and its capabilities, visit our Products & Solutions page.